Monday, March 25, 2013

Mexican Shredded Chicken Tacos with Cucumber Lime Salad

Confession: I make a lot of Mexican food. But in my defense, I do live in New Mexico, home of Green Chile! And if you don't know what this is, then you need to stop by this website: Hatch Chile Festival, and learn all about this awesome stuff!! 

On top of being a Mexican food fan I am a huge taco fan! Seriously, I think anything can be put into a taco!

So, here is a little diddy I cooked up! I hope you enjoy it! 


Chicken:

8 Chicken breasts (I used boneless skinless, but you can use bone in)
1 Tbsp. Fajita seasoning
1 Tbsp. Cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. Ranch powder
6 Tbsp. Worcestershire 
6 Tbsp. Lemon juice
4 Tbsp. Jalapeno juice
1 Tbsp. Liquid smoke
1 1/2 Cups Apple cider vinegar
3 Cups Low sodium chicken broth
1 Cup BBQ sauce

In a large stock pot place all the above ingredients, cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours, moving the chicken around regularly. Remove the chicken, keep liquid boiling, shred chicken and add back to the liquid. Simmer shredded chicken for another hour on medium heat to help evaporate some of that liquid, stirring regularly. 

Cucumber Lime Salad

1 English cucumber, halved and sliced
1/2 Medium red onion, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Juice of 1 Lime
1 Tbsp. Jalapeno juice
1/4 Cup Freshly chopped cilantro

In a medium bowl combine above ingredients. Place to the side and allow to meld for at least an hour. I usually make this after I shred the chicken and it is in its last cooking phase. And now we can build some tacos!!

Tacos

Flour fajita Tortillas (I double mine, when I make tacos, but you don't have to)
2-3 Fresh limes (depends on how many people you are feeding)

Take a fajita tortilla (you could also use white corn tortilla's if you wanted, but I like the fajita flour tortillas), place good chunk of shredded chicken in the middle of the tortilla and place a decent amount of Cucumber Lime Salad. And viola you have a taco! Serve with a wedge of lime and encourage your eaters to squeeze on top before devouring! 


As you can see I served mine with Spanish rice, but you could also serve it with my Southwestern Beans! The Spanish rice recipe is coming soon!

So there you have it an awesome kickin' chicken taco! Now go make it and devour it!!!

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment