Saturday, March 23, 2013

Jalapeno Chicken Chimichanga's

Welcome to my new baby Culinary Brainchild! I am so happy to have this wonderful space to share all my culinary creations and passions with you! 

For my first recipe on this blog I have decided to go big. You know go big or go home!


Big as in big flavor, big awesomeness and incredibly time consuming! But did I say they had huge flavor? Cause they do! This is one of those weekend recipes because from start to finish it took me about 5 hours!!! Yes, 5 hours, but it is so worth it, but don't take my word for it, ask my kids. They have been begging me to make these again and I only made them last weekend!! They have been hounding me since the night I made them. So yes they are good!!

Part I:

Chicken:
1 Whole Chicken
2 Cups baby carrots
1/2 Large Onion (any kind)
3 Bay leaves
1 Tbsp. Dried Sage
1 Tbsp. Rosemary
 *You can use fresh herbs but you will have to use more*
Water

Place the first six ingredients in a large stock pot. Then pour enough water over the ingredients to cover the chicken. Cook over medium heat for roughly an hour, or until the chicken is done, the meat will be white and will be at an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Once the chicken is cooked remove chicken and place to the side and allow to cool. (The chicken will need to be cool enough to handle). Now you can strain the remaining ingredients into a large bowl, throwing away all the vegetables and herbs, leaving only the liquid behind. Allow to cool, store in the fridge and bam! You have homemade chicken broth! Once the chicken has cooled separate all the meat off the bone, making sure to pick out all the bones, fat and skin. Then shred your meat. 

Part II: 

Yields: 20 Chimichanga's

Chimichanga Filling:
Shredded Chicken
2 14.5 oz. Cans of diced tomatoes
1 Clove of garlic, minced
3/4 Cup Diced pickled jalapenos (add as little or as much as you want)
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. Fresh ground pepper

In a large stock pot or dutch oven place all the above ingredients and cook over low heat for about an hour. Raise heat to medium and cook for another hour, stirring frequently. This will allow most of the liquid to evaporate. Remove from heat and now we can begin forming our chimichanga's!

Part III:

Building the Chimichanga:
Montery Jack Cheese (any cheese you prefer really)
Tortillas
Oil

In a large stock pot heat half a pot of canola or vegetable oil. While oil is heating form burritos. Grab tortilla place a small amount of cheese and a small amount of filling.

Roll into a burrito. Using toothpicks seal the burrito shut, to ensure that nothing escapes! Like this....

Trust me you want to make sure you do this because it is really hard to fry them if they come open. I didn't have any toothpicks and I fried the first five by holding them together in the oil with my tongs. It took forever! So toothpicks are a must! Just make sure you remove them once they have cooled, you know before you eat them. :)

Once the oil has come up to temperature.....the way I test this is by placing a piece of tortilla in the oil, if it sinks the oil is not hot enough. If the tortilla rises and bubbles then bam, your oil is hot and ready to fry. Gently place two burritos in the oil and fry for about 5 minutes, cooking on each side for about 2.5 minutes. This is not an exact science, just cook until they are a light golden brown.....like......

Now my fine food friend your burritos are chimichanga's! Serve with your favorite hot sauce and devour while they are hot!!! Now make this recipe......you will thank me later! :)

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment