Monday, April 15, 2013

Peach Mango Cupcakes with Pomegranate Cream Cheese Frosting

As you all know it is cupcake mania here at the blog. I love cupcakes and it seems that lately all my inspiration comes in the form of a new cupcake recipe. But I'm not complaining and neither are my friends and family!

So, what do I have for you today, you ask? Today I offer you this little number.....


And do you know what is so awesome about this cupcake, besides the incredible flavor? The fact that it has actual fruit in it! And because of that you could totally say it is healthy! Well at least that was my excuse as I devoured two of these for breakfast, don't judge me! I like to think that it covers quite a few of the major food groups, you got the cake for grain, the cream cheese for the dairy, and the peach, mango and pomegranate for the fruit, BAM, it is now a healthy cupcake! 

Peach Mango Cupcakes

1 Cup Frozen peaches and Mango's
1 Cup Water
4 Tbsp sugar
1 Pillsbury White cake mix
1/4 Cup flour
3 Eggs
1/3 Cup oil

In a sauce pan, combine the fruit, water and sugar, and heat to a boil over medium heat. Once sugar has dissolved and mixture has come to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool completely. In large mixing bowl combine the other ingredients and the cooled fruit mixture. Mix thoroughly, then fill cupcake liners a little over 3/4 of the way, the fruit will prevent the cupcakes from rising too high, cook according to instructions on the cake box. Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a cooling rack.

Pomegranate Cream Cheese Frosting

2 8oz. Packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 Cup Pomegranate juice
5 Cups Powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl, with a mixer or stand mixer cream the cream cheese over medium speed until the cream cheese is smooth. Then add a little of the Pomegranate juice and 1/2 a cup of powdered sugar, mix thoroughly until both the powdered sugar and the juice have been integrated. Then add a little more of the juice and another 1/2 cup of sugar, mix thoroughly, then scrape the sides. Add more juice, if there is only a little left just add it all, and another 1/2 cup of sugar, again mixing thoroughly. Continue to do this until the mixture is stiff enough that it does not fall off a spoon and is as sweet as you desire. Remember that the heat and humidity in your house will determine the amount of sugar you will have to add. Then you can pipe or spread over your cupcakes. I just use a ziploc bag for my piping, by cutting off a small corner, sometimes I place a tip in, to add some flare. 

*Special Note: In order to cut down on the amount of sugar you have to add you could always reduce your pomegranate juice to a syrup by boiling it over medium high heat until it has reduced to half, or it coats the back of a spoon. I didn't, but next time I will. 

There you have it, a fruit-a-licious cupcake that is good enough to eat for breakfast!! Doubt me? Then try it!

So, what do you think? Sound like something you might try? Have you ever put fruit in a cupcake?

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment